Ondo Closes Schools For APC Poll
The Ondo State Government has ordered the temporary closure of selected public primary and secondary schools ahead of the APC State House of Assembly election taking place today, May 20, 2026.
Authorities said the affected schools would serve as polling centres across the state.
The Ministry of Education directed pupils, teachers and other school workers in the affected schools to stay at home during the exercise.
Officials explained that the move was aimed at protecting lives and ensuring smooth conduct of the election.
Reports showed that tension had risen in parts of Ondo following disputes linked to APC primaries and fears of violence around some election venues.
Sporadic gunshots were reportedly heard during earlier party primaries in Akure, raising security concerns ahead of the assembly poll.
The government assured parents and candidates that arrangements had been made to avoid disruption of ongoing WAEC examinations, especially for boarding students.
Education officials also said monitoring teams would ensure compliance across the affected schools.

















